Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Generic RenFaire Outfit


Costume: Renaissance Faire garb and/or pirate wench
Made: 2002

I made this outfit in the middle of making Arwen's chase dress, which means it's one of the first things I ever sewed. I'd splurged on a fabulous blue suede bodice from Austin Leather Works at GenCon, and I wanted to make a chemise and skirt to go along with it and wear the whole outfit to King Richard's Faire. In the years since, I've worn it to many other renaissance faires, to opening night of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and as part of a costume group for The Guild at Dragon*Con. It's not remotely historically accurate, but it's pretty versatile!
Photos

Construction

Initially, both the chemise and skirt were made straight from the instructions at Dawn's Costume Guide. The skirt is made from a cotton-poly broadcloth and the chemise is a loose-weave muslin. In 2011, I remade the skirt and made another smock/shift/chemise from a finer, thinner cotton. I recut my skirt (initially just a tube of fabric gathered to a waistband) into an infinite-gore skirt that's box-pleated at the waist. This resulted in less bulk at the waist and more fullness at the hem. You can find .pdf instructions for an infinite-gore skirt here. I used the Elizabethan Smock Pattern Generator to make my new smock; it worked very well! You can see the remade skirt and new smock in the last picture above. My hat is from Wheat Goddesses and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment