Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Katara, Toph, and Zuko

Characters: Katara, Toph, and Zuko
Costumes: Season 1, Season 2, and Season 3 outfits (respectively)
From: Avatar: The Last Airbender
Made: 2008

Oh, Avatar. Okay, fine, *technically* it may be a kids' cartoon, but I personally think it's one of the most awesome series in recent memory. If you haven't watched it, I highly, highly recommend it. That finale-- OH MAN. My friend's kids were the ones who got me into it; they told me that if I liked Kim Possible (and I did), I'd *love* Avatar. To thank them for being right, I offered to make them Avatar costumes for Halloween.

They chose a fun assortment of characters-- Katara, a waterbender; Toph, an earthbender; and Zuko, a firebender. This was my first time replicating animated costumes, which presented an interesting new set of challenges. I'm really pleased with how they turned out!

Halloween 2008


Katara Detail


Toph Detail


Zuko Detail


Construction

I don't currently have much construction information for these. Katara and Toph's costumes were mostly made with linen from fabrics-store.com; Zuko's is crinkle cotton and cotton broadcloth, with gold silk taffeta accents.

No comments:

Post a Comment